Personal computer with inkjet printer
Kaleidoscope Collections Kaleidoscope Kreator™ 3 software*
Digital photo (from a digital camera or scanned)
Inkjet photo paper
Japanese screw punch (often used in book binding)
Decorative corner paper punch
Rounded corner paper punch
4” square of metallic or glitter paper
4 ¼” square of contrasting cardstock
5 ½” x 11” coordinating cardstock
* Available from www.KalCollections.com
Fold the 5 ½” x 11” cardstock into a card base. Adhere the kaleidoscope to the center of the card.
- In Kaleidoscope Kreator 3, open the digital photo. Then click on the Select Kaleidoscope Shape button in the toolbar and choose Quilter’s Star (08) for the template shape.
- Click on the Pinwheel Mode button in the toolbar.
- Move the photo around in the workspace and watch the Kaleidoscope Preview in the upper right corner of the screen. Click on the Kaleidoscope Preview if you want to see a full-screen preview of the kaleidoscope.
- Choose a background color by clicking first on the eyedropper in the Background Color palette. Then click anywhere in the photo to choose a color. If you don’t like the color that is chosen, click on the eyedropper again and then on the photo.
- Choose a background texture by choosing one from the drop-down list in the Background Texture palette. Adjust the scale of the texture using the slider.
- Before printing, we recommend you save the workspace so you can re-create the kaleidoscope if necessary. Click on the Save Workspace button in the toolbar (or select File>Save Workspace from the menu). Enter a filename and click Save. (The file will be saved with a KK3 extension, which can only be opened by Kaleidoscope Kreator 3.)
- Place photo paper in the printer tray. Select File>Print Kaleidoscope from the menu and enter the following values in the Print Preview window that appears:
- Maintain proportions should be checked.
- Width: 4 inches.
- Uncheck Print Margins, Show Cutlines and Center Kaleidoscope on Page.
- Set the printer properties to print on photo paper by clicking on the Properties button in the Printer Settings section.
- Click the Print button at the bottom right to send to the printer.
- Use a paper trimmer (or straight edge and craft knife) to cut out the kaleidoscope.
- Punch holes in the kaleidoscope using the Japanese screw punch.
- Punch decorative corners.
- Round the corners of the kaleidoscope. Also round the corners of the metallic paper.
- Adhere the kaleidoscope to the metallic paper lining the edges up exactly. (You can trim the edges if necessary.)
- Adhere the kaleidoscope/metallic paper to the contrasting cardstock square.